Friday, March 7, 2014

Tuesday - Planned leftovers

This week Tuesday we had:

Breakfast: 4.59

Cereal- 1.79
Milk- 1.00
Fruit- 1.80

Lunch- 4.75

PB and Jelly Sandwich for the Husband, Leftover Sloppy Joe and Rice for me, along with leftover veggies for me.

Dinner- 3.75

Chicken Pot Pie 

Using the leftover chicken soup, I added some more chicken, some flour to thicken the broth and a couple potatoes, and topped it with  a crust.


Using Planned leftovers is a great way to stretch a food budget. If you have teens who will eat everything in site pull out the amount you need for the planned leftovers before serving dinner. Chicken pot pie is just one way that we use planned leftovers here. The difference between a planned leftover and leftovers is just that it is planned ahead of time to be reused differently in another meal.

One thing to consider when using planned leftovers is cooking time, since the veggies in the soup were already cooked, I pre-cooked the chicken that I added. I also pre- boiled the potatoes, that way all the veggies were at the same consisity.


Total today - 13.09


No comments:

Post a Comment